Friday, March 4, 2011

Lesson on Prejudice


Before:
What do I already know about prejudice?
From what I know, prejudice means applying a stereotype to discriminate or look down on somebody who seems “different” from others or have different outer appearances, etc. A good example would be how the African Americans were prejudiced based on their skin colour by the fair-skinned Americans. Prejudice has existed throughout history and is a form of discrimination.
What do I want to learn about prejudice?
I want to gain more in-depth knowledge about prejudice as my current knowledge of prejudice is quite basic. Also, I want to learn more historical examples of prejudice as I believe that would aid in my learning about prejudice.
After:
What did I learn about prejudice?
From today’s lesson, I learnt a lot about prejudice that I previously did not know about. Firstly, I had thought wrongly that prejudice always meant discrimination. However, after the lesson, I have learnt that the word “prejudice” has actually been derived from the word “pre-judge”. Hence, prejudice is actually an opinion or feeling made about something or somebody without having adequate knowledge of the person or thing. Also, since prejudice is just an opinion or feeling, it is actually invisible before it snowballs into discrimination or even genocide.
During the lesson, we were also given a task to do. We were grouped and were tasked to make a concept map about the generalisations of prejudice. After this, the various groups were asked to share what they had come up with. I must say, this was extremely useful as we were able to see what others had come up with, and in the process, be able to learn more about prejudice.
Finally, we had another group task, albeit a more challenging one, as we were tasked to select a historical event that is parallels some of the key events in To Kill A Mockingbird(TKaM) create a 6-8 panel comic strip with Pixton that conveys the key ideas in the event. I am certain that with other groups also sharing their comic strips, my understanding of the text in TKaM would be greatly improved.
Cheers,
Roystan

No comments:

Post a Comment